Monday, April 30, 2012

To become Dutch, or not to become Dutch...

Today, "we" celebrate Queen's Day. For the non-Dutchies among you, it means basically that two thirds of the Dutch walk around in the big cities, (nearly) drunk, dressed in orange shirts, skirts, trousers,... you name it. I saw the weirdest hats, sunglasses and accessories today. I wrote "we" and not we without parentheses, because although I've been living in Holland for almost ten years now, I still feel foreign sometimes, as for example on a day like today. I wasn't dressed in orange, for that matter, nor was I wearing any funny gadgets. I did enjoy the atmosphere, though.


Still, I felt like an outsider. I'm not "one of them", and the question is: Is that a bad thing, or a good thing? Anyway, I'm still Belgian, but sometimes I feel Dutch. And that is not always a good thing. But is it any better to be Belgian? I doubt it. I mean, my country is a very complicated one. It has three official languages - right, Dutchies, three, not two as the majority of you think ;) - and probably therefore is so incredibly incoherent. We are not ONE, while I have the impression that in the Netherlands, people act more together and there is less rivalry. In Belgium, we not only have the cultural difference between the Flemings and the Walloons, but there's also the language problem. I regret the fact that the majority of the Walloons see Dutch as an inferior language. The consequence is that they refuse to speak it, even in a big city like Brussels. And that's a pity, for it shows that there is little respect from the French speaking community for the Dutch speaking community. So I'm not proud of being a Belgian, and that's what makes me toy with the idea of becoming Dutch. It shouldn't be that complicated. I'm a European citizen and I've been living here for almost 10 years. I speak the language, although maybe with a funny accent I can't hide. I don't need a citizenship course, although I'll have to do something about my distaste of cheese, liquorice and treacle waffles ;) But I hate bureaucracy, and I'm afraid it will take a lot of paperwork, let alone money, to become a Dutch citizen.

 

Why would I want to become Dutch anyway? I do like the majority of my Dutch friends, but some Dutch people can be so rude sometimes, even people you don't know at all. They have no fear of asking you direct questions or telling you you're doing something wrong (in their opinion that is, and sometimes it makes sense, but not always). We Belgians stick more to ourselves. We are more modest, I think, and that can be a bad thing, too, I realise that. We don't always say what we think. Also, I think we are more polite than the Dutch. Still, I admire the country I'm living in in many ways. On a day like today, you see the oneness, the solidarity among people. Everyone is having a good time, and they don't begrudge each other. In Belgium, there is a lot of rivalry among the provinces, especially when it comes to the different dialects we speak. And I don't like that at all. I really hate it when people discriminate each other or make fun of each other because of the fact that they speak different dialects or come from other provinces and thus have different backgrounds.

In fact, when I think about it, I'd better become a mix of a Belgian and a Dutch person. Fact is that here in the Netherlands, people see me as a Belgian, and back home, family and friends see me as Dutch. So I'm having this small identity crisis right now. I admire the Belgians for their courage and their motivation to accomplish things, but I admire the Dutch for their oneness and their sincerity. So, people, what should I do? Have you got any suggestions? One thing for sure is that I'll just stay myself. Maybe that helps. And one day, I'll figure out what I want. One day, I'll make up my mind. Promised.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Debz,
    Belgian or Dutch??!! What is in a name, a feeling, I wish you to find a good view of the importance to know that you yourself can have your place in any group, you don't need to choose! Just by being yourself, accepting yourself with al positive and negative parts and just observing as you do, perfect! Try to develop the intention to be a nice human being yourself. I know that you are doing this, as well as accepting yourself, and through this feeling accepting others, if possible loving others as you like to be loved as well (Words of JC), knowing that everybody likes to be accepted. That helps to make a nicer better world, your small world, the great world.
    Living together is not easy. Living with yourself is even not easy. Everybody is influenced by background, positive and negative experience in earlier times. Not all can be changed. We have to make the best of it. Small starting, with a true belief in weak powers!W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wil,

      thanks for your comment! I know, it's not really a matter of choosing, I can be both and none of them at the same time. When it comes to the basic things, we're all human beings, inhabitants of this beautiful planet Earth. Am I a nice human being? I hope so ;) Thanks for mentioning His words. It's true, we all should love the others as we want to be loved ourselves. I think I'm quite close to that, though :D You know what I mean, right?
      As you write, living with yourself is not easy. And you of all should know very well that I'm not happy with the person I am. Still, there's a lot of work to be done, that is, if there's still time, because sometimes it seems as if time is running out. You know what I mean, right?

      I send you a hug :)

      Delete
  2. Hug Debz!! (I intended to start with 'Hi Debz', the angel on my shoulder wrote this first word!!! Feel the warm sun, yes, our world is really turning fast around and around - time flies, but nevertheless, feel like a butterfly that is searching her way through the coulorful flowerfields, unconscious (is that a word??) that her world is turning - she just knows that the sun is setting in the evening, and after every night of rest, there will be again a chance to find honey in suckle.. (zelfontdekte woordspeling door deze sukkel, ha, ha). So dD, keep on going, trying, smiling to yourself deep down.. W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hug for you too! Thanks for your nice words! By the way, I absolutely love butterflies :) Did you know that? Unconscious is a word, indeed :)
    I'll keep on going. Promises. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete