Wednesday, October 31, 2012

The incredibles

A while ago I posted a poll on my blog that asked you about your religious convictions. I wasn't surprised by the fact that most of the people that participated in that poll declared themselves to be atheists. I respect each and everyone's opinion, but I want to dedicate this post especially to all those atheists out there that somehow acknowledge that there actually has to be something more than just coincidence. In an earlier post I wrote about my own way to Christianity, for yes, I once was a sceptical atheist myself. And see how much I have changed :)


Since I became a christian, I've learnt to respect the world and especially the nature around me. Besides being a christian, I'm also kind of a scientist, because I'm a fervent amateur astronomer. When I'm out there at night, amazed by the wonders of the universe, I feel THAT small, you know. And when I have a look at the Astronomy Picture of the Day's website, I'm almost always completely stunned and taken aback by the miracles that are out there, billions of miles away from us. If you only think about how life is possible on this tiny planet Earth, how there are 8 other planets - yes, in my humble opinion, Pluto is a planet - in our solar system that have their own peculiarities - think about Jupiter's moons, Saturn's rings and the incredibly active volcanoes on Venus, to just name a few - how can you be so sure that it's just a matter of coincidence? I believe in the Big Bang, oh yes, but I can't see that happening without a Creator, someone who wanted it to exist and who wants to share the beauty of His creation with us, humble human beings.

Look at the real Lord of the Rings:



Or the beauty of the Horse Head Nebula:


Or, if you're still not convinced, the complexity of the Whirlpool Galaxy:



Still, we don't have to look at the edge of the universe to see the wonders of nature. What do you think about these wonders of nature?


I can go on for ages googling anything I want, be it animals or whatever can be found in nature, everything is so perfectly made, this can't be just coincidence, you have to be honest. And every aspect of an animal, a river, a volcano - you name it - has its own perfect shape and function. 

Acts 17: 24-28

24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

And then the moment came that God created man:

Genesis,1:27

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

Personally, I believe in the theory of evolution, BUT with a small note that it was our Creator that orchestrated each and every step in the evolution of man. He created man out of our ancestors, which were primates, indeed. God made man out of a lesser race. 


Do you really believe that you, dear reader, are as intelligent and talented as you are, just by coincidence or just because you were lucky to be gifted with whatever talent it is that makes you special? Maybe you're extremely creative and you make the most beautiful paintings. Or maybe you compose the most incredible music or have a voice that literally makes the stars fall from heaven. Or maybe you're particularly good at maths or languages or... maybe you can just make people feel at ease when they are not feeling too well... Each and every one of you has his/her particular talent, I'm sure of that. And if you think "this doesn't count for me, I don't have this supposed talent you're talking about", well let me talk to you then, face to face, for a couple of hours, and allow me to get to know you, and I'll tell you that you too are special, exactly as our Creator intended. 

I have to admit that, when I was still an atheist, I thought that some people are so smart just because they are lucky and are better than the lesser human beings among us. Now, however, I see that God gave each and every one of us at least one talent. God also gave man the ability to invent things that make life easier. When you look at the world around you, you see cities, incredibly soffisticated and complex, you see technologies that go way beyond your understanding, you see technological possibilities we could only dream about a couple of years ago. But it's all in us, because our Creator wanted it to be like that.




Unfortunately, next to the talents we can use to help each other, God also gave us a free will and a brain with which we can develop harmful things instead of high-technological tours de force that can be of use for the entire human race. That's how weapons were developped. That's how diseases came into our life. Through sin, that is. It's not a curse of God, no, people, it doesn't work like that. It's not as simple as that. However, Jesus came into the world to wash away our sins. He died so that we could live. He knows what life on earth is like, or just like Mark Schultz sings in one of his songs: He has been there, he knows what it feels like to suffer, to be despised and hated. He knows what fear, sorrow and pain are all about...


Now, I didn't write this post to try to save each and every one of my readers. I wrote this post because I see God in so many aspects of life. And although I haven't been too well lately, I know He's there. He's always been and always will. And one day, each and every one of you will know. I just hope that at that point in time, it won't be too late already. I hope you'll have met Him before that moment comes. Just look around you. Do you notice that beautiful sun, shining down on you? Do you see that baby, laughing at you? Do you see that dog, paralysed but still able to walk because someone was so kind to give him a second chance?


Of course, I hear you, there is also war, there are natural disasters, there are these incurable diseases, there is poverty, injustice and inequality in this world, but please, don't blame God! He loves us, He isn't there, high above us in heaven, to do us any harm. He is not the one who judges us and who's sitting there, waving his sceptre and causing war in Afghanistan, earthquakes in Guatemala or floods in Thailand, no! He made us and He accepts us with every fault and every talent that we have, and He knows that we can't be perfect. If we were perfect, there would right now be a rough 7,000,000,000 Jesuses on earth, which is a little bit over the top, don't you think so? I think it's just not fair that people refuse to believe in God, but do say that He is probably responsible for all the disasters and hatred in the world. It doens't work like that.

If you're an atheist, I can't blame you. It's in fact easier to think that there is nothing out there but the universe with its shining stars and glowing galaxies. It's easier to sin, and to think about no one but yourself, and to think that no matter what you do, you won't be judged in the end. I'm not saying that every atheist is a sinner and an egoist, don't get me wrong! What I'm saying is that in this world, many people, including some that will tell you that they believe in God, are self-centered and rough towards others all the time, and they forget the most crucial thing in life, namely that you are loved, and that you should show some respect for the one(s) who love you. It's in fact all about love in this world. If we loved each other just that tiny little bit more, there would be less hatred, less crime, less pain and suffering. But we can't. And why's that? Because people don't believe in God anymore these days. They don't want to acknowledge that they were created with love and in order to love. 


Look, I'm not the right person to judge atheists, and if it's ok for you, I will still be your friend, even if you're a convinced atheist. I hope you're not offended by what I wrote in this post. It's just that I'd like to grant you this feeling that you are loved and that, no matter what you have done wrong, you can always be forgiven and that there will be something better than this life in the end. I think that most of the people that only think about money, power and themselves are in fact atheists. If they knew God's love, they wouldn't be so selfish. I can see that particular change in myself already. I've become a more generous person when it comes to my relationship with others. Also, the majority of the people that don't care about nature, wildlife and the environment must be atheists because if they had allowed God in their life, they would have had a lot more respect for the world that surrounds them. 


This post is dedicated to all the incredibles. They can be incredibly stubborn when it comes to religion, but they can also be incredibly kind when it comes to their relationship with other people. Now the only step they have to take, is to take the hand that God reaches out to them... Still not convinced? No problem, you're old and wise enough to make your own decisions, and I will respect your choice...











6 comments:

  1. I do see got in everything he has created and how everything just had a purpose. Just like all our organs function for one body Jesus Christ fuels my should. I say amen to that.Thanks for a lovely post once again..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tissy for your comment! I was actually inspired by you to write this post. The way you write on your blog... just awesome! Thanks for being such a true and loyal friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for dedicating a post to 'us' ;)
    Ah well, I do have some things to say to this.
    First of all, why is it necessary to assume all the good and the bad things that people do, do not come from ourselves but from God or Satan? I think attributing the origins of good and bad to something higher is only moving the question one step back. Many christians say 'God is love', but would I be evil (breaking the 1st commandment) to say 'Love is god'?
    Next, I would also like to turn around the train of thought you employ when you say the universe is arranged so perfectly that divine origin is unavoidable. Please (and this is only a thought experiment) try to see it like this: the world is in fact very IMperfect; why does God need a whole universe with ever expanding empty space, dead planets, and on this one living planet so many animals that struggle each day to survive, all for the purpose of the souls of humans? Surely an omnipotent God can do the job much more effectively. And also try this point of view: assuming that the universe is indeed perfect, imagine an imperfect one. For instance, one where gravity is weaker, of light is slower or other laws of nature being different. It's obvious that no life could ever develop there. (This is your reason to say that our universe is perfect - I see.) Hence, in an imperfect universe (and God - if He indeed exists - only knows how many of those he has already created before ours!) there can impossibly be any creatures to admire creation. To go short: if this universe were not 'perfect', there would be no-one to complain about that.
    These views may not be compatible, but at least they're food for thought! And if my ideas are wrong, I'd love to hear strong counter-arguments, really. I certainly don't mean to attack faith - I want to encourage dicussion. Think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Debz,
    Alain is right when he wants to encourage discussion. But all in all, I think you really talk as a believer, as someone who puts her faith in God. About faith and belief discussion is not possible. Reading your blog, I felt come up many arguments against what you say, but all come really down to this one difference between you and me: you have faith in God and I don’t. My arguments were about the distribution of cleverness among the people, the washing away of our sins, the perfectness of the universe, God’s appreciation of the good and the bad, the right and the wrong etc.
    P.S. Incredible = (1) not to be trusted, (2) fantastic, very good (Van Dale). So, we, the atheists are either very good or untrustworthy?
    It is a pleasure to read your writings, Debz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Alain, dear Ruud,

    I think it's good to discuss these topics openly. I think it's one of the strengths of our church, there is room for discussion. And eventually, we will see who's right. If we die, we'll know if it's been worth the "trouble", if it was the right decision to believe in God, or to live a life without our heavenly Father. I know quite a lot of christians who are even more convinced than I am, but I can guarantee you both that it's been worth it. I've been through difficult periods in my life, but I don't believe in coincidence. It comes straight down to this: If I hadn't had this Borderline Personality Disorder, I would never have longed to leave Belgium - because of the terrible experiences in psychiatric hospitals - and to come to the Netherlands, I would never have ended up in this psychiatric ward in Oegstgeest, I would never have met that special nurse that saved me, I would never have learnt to know God and I wouldn't have been a christian. And we would never have had this discussion... I do respect your opinions, but I'd like to know why exactly you don't believe in (a) God. Has life disappointed you? Have you been through periods in your life in which you felt that no-one was supporting you, that you were all alone? Or is there another reason? You can always send me an e-mail, or we can talk about it face to face, I don't mind. Just let me know.

    Thanks for your comments and your consideration. It's good to know that people are reading and enjoying my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Debz,
      I will answer your question. At the age of fourteen sitting on my knees during mass in church (it was in the year 1961) I came to the conclusion that a personal relationship with God did not exist. We were taught to pray intensely pronouncing every word of the prayer clearly and slowly, but all the answers came from priests or other people of the church and not from God. Dialogue, I concluded, is something between people and God is an non human connected idea. This idea was human made and I decided to leave this idea.
      At that moment I did not live in distress. Later I knew very well disappointments and loneliness, but these states of mind never urged me to seek refuge in God.
      That is it. Thank you
      Ruud

      Delete